CBD oil is gaining popularity as an alternative remedial therapy for a variety of ailments and even acts as a supplement with many health benefits. In this article, we’ll talk about the two easiest ways of making CBD oil at home.
But before we delve into that, let’s understand how CBD works.
How CBD Oil Works?
Cannabidiol, most commonly known as CBD, is one of over 110 active cannabinoids found in marijuana plants. CBD has a natural ability to bind with receptor sites in our body (like the brain and the immune system) and it works to restore your body to its optimum level of functionality. By influencing the activity controlled by the body’s receptor sites, CBD oil is known for its utility when it comes to managing pain, psychosis, muscle spasms, neurodegenerative disorders and many other ailments.
The body’s endocannabinoid (ECS) system is responsible for the physical and psychological effects of cannabis on the human body, as well as for the regulation of bodily functions including appetitie, mood, metabolism, sleep, immune function, temperature, digestion, cardiovascular function, neural development, memory and learning, and reproduction. Besides these, the ECS system is also responsive to fighting illness in the body.
This ability to regulate and influence the endocannabinoid system makes CBD effective as a remedy for many health issues. As more scientific studies attest to the healing effects of CBD oil, the scope of this marijuana extract as a healing alternative are growing.
Why use CBD Oil?
In addition to the possible health benefits listed above, CBD oil supplements also provide the body with some essential oils that are often missing from our daily nutrition intake. This can include vitamins and minerals, omega fatty acids, flavonoids and even important proteins and terpenes.
Since CBD oil does not contain THC, it is not psychoactive and won’t leave you with a high.
Benefits of CBD Oil
Before understanding the process of making CBD oil, let us understand the key benefits of using CBD oil.
- Pain Relief: This is probably the most well-known benefit of using CBD oil. CBD is a known analgesic, effective when it comes to minimizing the sensation of physical pain. For people suffering from conditions such as fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, CBD oil works excellently for pain relief and pain management.
- Fights Cancer: The American Cancer Society supports the claim that CBD oil can slow down the growth of cancer causing cells. Cannabidiol has been a widely known anti-cancer agent and the key reason for this is CBD oil’s ability to disrupt cellular communication in tumours that halt their growth as well as its ability to set off programmed cancer cell death.
- Fights Epilepsy: According to the New England Journal of Medicine, CBD oil can be instrumental in reducing the instance of seizures by as much as 23%. While there is no cure for epilepsy, CBD oil can bring immense relief to patients. Videos of kids experiencing seizures that were then calmed down by a dose of CBD oil can be found online as a testament of this ability.
- For Depression and Anxiety: Research shows that CBD oil can help with combating and managing depression and anxiety. Accumulated evidence from many studies show that CBD has powerful anti-anxiety properties and could be beneficial to the treatment of anxiety-related disorders including PTSD, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder and mild to moderate depression. It is also known to reduce stress and discomfort related to social anxiety.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: Research shows that CBD oil is an effectual therapeutic agent for a myriad of cardiovascular diseases thanks to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidation properties. It is known to reduce blood pressure, arterial blockages, and can also reduce the damage to arterial walls as a side effect of high blood pressure
- Improves Skin Conditions: CBD oil is known to have high levels of Vitamin E that promotes healthy skin health. This makes CBD effective in managing and treating a variety of skin conditions by increasing the activity of your endocannabinoids. Eczema and Psoriasis are skin conditions that can be potentially treated with CBD oil.
- Reduces Inflammation: By affecting the tiny proteins (called receptors) present in your brain and immune system, CBD oil works on the body’s endocannabinoid system and reduces inflammation. It has also been known to reduce chronic inflammation that leads to disease such as arthritis, joint disorders, and multiple sclerosis
Different Ways to Make CBD Oil
Now that we have understood how CBD oil works on the ECS as well as the many benefits that it offers, let’s talk about making your own CBD oil.
The’ Oil Method’ of extracting CBD oil is considered as one of the safest ways of doing so. With this method, you will need to use a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil. This method is gaining popularity as it is completely safe, free of unwanted residues and the user gets the benefits of the extracted CBD as well as that of the carrier oil.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the oil method:
Before getting started, understand that the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why it is best to pick a high-quality strain that was sourced from a reputed retailer.
- To get started, choose buds, leaves, and stems of a high-quality cannabis plant. However, before you get started, ensure that the raw cannabis has gone through the process of decarboxylation. To do this, bake the buds and leaves at a temperature of approximately 220°F for 90 to 100 minutes. In layman’s terms, this process refers to heating the plant at a certain temperature for a specific period of time to activate the plant’s chemicals.
- In a mason jar, mix the ground-up weed with the carrier oil of your choice and then saturate the weed with the oil. You can adjust the quantity of oil or add more depending on how potent you want the end product to be.
- Once the saturation has occurred, it is time to bring the oil-weed mixture to a boil. Screw the lid of the mason jar securely to ensure that no steam or water enters the oil mixture.
- On the bottom of the pan, place a towel. Place the mason jar on the top and fill the pan with water until it reaches a temperature of at least 200 degrees. (Make sure to use a thermometer)
- Regularly check the pot to ensure that the water has not evaporated. Turn off the stove after letting the oil mixture simmer for three hours and then let it sit for another three hours.
- After this is done, it is recommended to heat the oil mixture again for three hours, to turn off the heat, and leave it again for the night.
- The next morning, your CBD oil will be ready to use. Proceed ahead by straining the mixture through cheesecloth and storing in a cool, dark and dry place.
The ‘Alcohol Method’ is also known as the ethanol method. One of the pros of this CBD oil-extraction process is that it does not require special skills or advanced equipment, making it a great choice for beginners.
Alcohol, the extracting agent in this process, is preferred as it does not leave an unpleasant taste or odour as opposed to other agents.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the alcohol method:
- Start by placing the marijuana in a ceramic or glass bowl. Cover it with alcohol and stir for about 6 minutes. Once this is done, use a wooden spoon to extract the resin produced as a result of the process.
- Place a straining bag/sieve in the bowl to filter out the solvent. Squeeze out as much extract as possible. If you feel that more oil extraction is possible from the weed, repeat this squeezing process.
- In a double boiler, pour the extracted oil and heat it until bubbles start to form. The aim is to make the alcohol evaporate without raising the temperature. Wait until the oil simmers for about thirty minutes on a very low flame. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, mix it and turn off the flame.
- Once cooled, transfer the concentrated extract in a storage bottle with a tight lid in a cool, dark and dry place.
The Best Marijuana Strains for CBD Oil Extraction
As mentioned before, the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why, for those looking at making their own CBD oil, it is necessary to choose the appropriate marijuana strain for their individual needs.
For the best CD oil benefits, choose a strain that is high in CBD and low on THC. Here are some strains that suit this prerequisite and are some of the best options:
- Charlotte’s Web: Probably the most popular marijuana strain in the world, this strain is about 60% Indica with a CBD content that can be as high as 20%. With an almost negligible THC content, this strain is a great option for CBD oil extraction.
- ACDC: With a reputation as the strain that can leave you thunderstruck, the ACDC strain offers a euphoric high immediately after use. It is most popular for the treatment of inflammation, migraines and anxiety-related disorders.
- Harle Tsu: Best known for its pain relief prowess, Harle Tsu is a mellow strain which is known for its high CBD content (up to 22%) and low THC content (less than 1%). This ratio makes it perfect for extracting CBD oil.